Safed is a city in northern Israel, about 13 km (8 mi) from Rosh Pinna and 37 km (22 mi) from Tiberias. Located 900 m (2950 ft) above sea level, it is also the highest city in the country. Due to its high elevation, Safed experiences warm summers and cold, often snowy, winters.
Five Great Reasons to Visit Safed:
• The town's number one cultural event is the annual Klezmer Festival, dedicated to Jewish folk music that originated in Eastern Europe. This huge open-air festival spans three days in July-August, and is an explosion of music and creative force.
• The Old City was developed by Spanish Jews (Sefaradim), who settled in the area after their expulsion from Spain in 1492.
Today it is a maze of narrow alleys, hidden yards and loads of magic.
- Beit Hameiri Museum has fascinating exhibits tracing the city's history and way of life. The guides are all actors, and will take you back in time to the 18-20th century. It might come as a surprise, but the Old Cemetery is another major tourist attraction. Thousands of tombstones spread on the mountainside are evidence of the city's long dynasty of scholars and saints.
• The city of Kabbalah
has always been an important spiritual center for the Jewish People.
You have probably heard a lot of hype in the media in recent years, as Kabbalah study has become popular among A-listers like Madonna, Demi Moore and Britney Spears. But did you know that the origins of Kabbalah and its study come from Safed? You can learn all about it at the International Center for Tzfat Kabbalah
, in the Old City of Safed.
• Thanks to the gorgeous landscape and the mild climate, the area has become a summer holiday resort.
Between Rosh Pinna and Safed lies the Hotel Spa Mizpe Hayamim
. With 37 acres of fragrant gardens, trails and pools, this is the perfect place for relaxation. The hotel is well-known for its home-grown organic fruit, vegetable gardens and dairy farm. The hotel has a full spa center, a lounge bar, a crafts gallery, a soap and candles workshop, and a library
• Safed is a great base for hiking and nature trails in the Upper Galilee. If you are looking for an outdoor adventure, travel north and visit the Hula Nature Reserve
, a world renowned location for bird-watching.