Tel Aviv was founded in 1909 by the Jewish community living in the ancient port city of Jaffa. Tel Aviv and Jaffa merged into a single municipality in 1950, two years after the establishment of the State of Israel.
Tel Aviv is conveniently located on the Israel Mediterranean coastline, in central-west Israel - just 20 km (12 mi) from Ben Gurion Airport, 60 km (37 mi) northwest of Jerusalem and 90 km (55 mi) south of the city of Haifa. The city enjoys a Mediterranean climate –
hot and humid summers and cool and not-too-rainy winters.
Five Great Reasons to Visit Tel Aviv:
• Tel Aviv, also dubbed the White City, has one of highest concentrations of Bauhaus buildings in the world.
In 2003 it was designated a UNESCO World Cultural heritage site. The city is a heady mix of new and old: sleek new skyscrapers share space with the port of Jaffa, the oldest functioning port city in the world. It dates back to biblical times and boasts a park and a thriving artists' quarter, with galleries tucked away in quaint alleys, churches and historic buildings, and an unforgettable seascape.
• The city is a true cultural hub, with countless art galleries and museums, first of which is the excellent Tel Aviv Museum of Art
, boasting one of the world’s largest collections of Israeli art. Next to it stands the beautiful Tel Aviv Performing Arts Center, where you can enjoy a night at the opera or a concert of the world-famous Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.
• The city boasts some great beaches,
and its beautiful promenade extends from Jaffa's old port
all the way north to the Yarkon River. Locals and tourists alike stroll, bike or rollerblade along this wonderful stretch of the Mediterranean.
• Tel Aviv's café culture is one of the world's finest. Israel's sunny climate makes it the perfect place to set up tables outside its myriad of cafes, so you can bask in the sunshine and watch the world go by.
• Tel Aviv is all about clubbing. Some of the most world renowned DJs spin all kinds of music in mega-clubs like HaOman 17
, as well as smaller dance bars.